About the “Friends”
The Friends of Patterson Park works to ensure the park’s vitality as a treasured green space and encourages use and appreciation by neighbors, visitors, and future generations.
We achieve this mission by:
- Advocating for and educating people about the importance of preserving this historic, urban green space;
- Maintaining and promoting a positive park image;
- Providing a forum for and ensuring community input into the process for change in the park;
- Acting as a liaison between the community and the Baltimore City Department of Recreation & Parks;
- Increasing fiscal and human (volunteer and staff) resources available for park projects and programs;
- Fostering park stewardship in the community and building the skills of the community to care for the park; and
- Developing events and programs that bring the community into the park to learn, recreate, and make friends.
Historic Patterson Park will be a thriving and welcoming urban green space. It will stand as an inspiring example of how people can come together and better their community. It will reflect the diversity of Baltimore neighborhoods and be inclusive where everyone feels welcome and safe. Patterson Park will be an oasis from city streets and our busy lives. It will be a place that expands the human spirit through a connection with the earth and serve as a reminder of our responsibility to be caretakers of the world in which we live. Whether playing a game of softball with friends or taking quiet time to read a book, park users will have a place for rejuvenation through exercise and rest. Our park will be a cherished gathering place for the community—where people meet to discuss the news or listen to music, families take time for a picnic, and children create memories that last a lifetime.