The Marble Fountain is located in the park near the South Patterson Park Avenue and Lombard Street entrance near another well-known Patterson Park landmark, the Pagoda.
The fountain, designed by George A. Frederick who also designed and built Baltimore’s City Hall, was the very first architectural element erected in Patterson Park in 1865. It was also one of the first restoration projects undertaken after years of neglect and vandalism left it dilapidated and inoperative.
In 2003, the fountain was completely restored with assistance from a $100,000 grant from the TKF Foundation. The TKF Foundation funds parks and landscape projects that fulfill the goal of creating “open spaces” and “sacred places".
The fountain is once again a gathering space for the community to socialize, as well as a spot to quietly enjoy the soothing sounds of the fountain’s cascading water. It is also the location of the Friends of Patterson Park’s annual Wine Tasting Fundraiser.