restoration of the historic Superintendent's House & construction of a new Community programming space in Patterson Park
We are excited to announce our first capital project to restore the 1868 Superintendent's house in the northwest corner of Patterson Park, creating a welcoming Visitor's Center and a new community programming venue, and transforming the Friends' headquarters into a functioning multi-use space.
History & Need
The Friends’ offices are in the former Patterson Park superintendent’s house located in the northwest corner of the park. The house, built in 1868 and owned by Baltimore City Recreation and Parks, has had no major improvements since the 1970s, and is suffering from a history of deferred maintenance. This limits the facility’s ability to support the Friends’ work at a time when the demands on the park continue to grow. Restoring the superintendent’s house and creating a community programming space will allow the Friends to preserve an important piece of Baltimore City history, increase the community-building role of the park, and enhance a beloved green space.
The Friends of Patterson Park’s effort to restore the park’s historic superintendent’s house and add community programming space will allow us to:
- Add a Park Visitor’s Center to enhance the experience of park users from surrounding neighborhoods and around the state;
- Restore a historic house that has suffered from deferred maintenance and ensure its use for future generations;
- Enhance the community’s year-round access to park resources by adding indoor space to accommodate community programs and events;
- Replace a closed fence with a welcoming entrance to park visitors coming from north of the park, enhancing safety for visitor and residents;
- Ensure the organization’s capacity to support increased programming and events that serve a diverse set of stakeholders.
Construction Planning & Community Collaboration
With a team of people encompassing the Friends of Patterson Park Board and staff, Baltimore City Recreation and Parks, and our newly established Capital Projects Advisory Committee, we are continuing to plan in a thoughtful and thorough way. In the months of August and September 2018, we will be presenting the project to community organizations and interested neighbors and other stakeholders surrounding the park to seek input.
Potential ground-breaking on the first construction phase of the project will be March/April 2019. More information on the schedule will be available later this fall.
Initial CHAP (Baltimore City Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation) Public Hearing
September 11, 2018, at 1:00 p.m.
Phoebe B. Stanton Boardroom,
417 East Fayette St., 8th floor
Funding the Project: Campaign Progress
The initial phase of the project - planning & initial architect's renderings - was supported in 2017 by a $10,000 grant from the Baltimore National Heritage Area and the Abell Foundation. We worked with the local firm PI.KL Studio to assess our needs and produce the first drawings of both the renovated and new spaces. We have raised nearly half of the necessary funds through the generosity and foresight of granting organizations and the hard work of our legislative team in Annapolis. We look forward to sharing the next phase of our fundraising efforts with a campaign announcement in the fall of 2018.
We are incredibly grateful for the generosity of these organizations in supporting this project:
Baltimore National Heritage Area (pre-design support)
State of Maryland - Baltimore Regional Neighborhood Initiative
State of Maryland - Program Open Space